Founded in 1994 by the late Roger Dixon, the 501(c)(3) Foundation promotes healthy watersheds through good landscape management. We support this mission through:
- Demonstrating sustainable land management practices at our four working ranches in North Texas and West Texas
- Funding an annual grant program that promotes our mission throughout key ecosystems in Texas
- Promoting landowner education.
- Fostering public awareness about healthy living through healthy watersheds
Currently we own and operate four ranches totaling over 15,000 acres. Our working ranches provide grass-finished meat that is certified organic and currently being sold at local Whole Foods markets.
The vision for our DWF ranches is to provide learning and demonstration sites for education, outreach and research on water issues. By implementing a sustainable planned grazing approach, we are demonstrating how to manage rangeland in an environmentally and economically sound way.
One of the key ways in which we distinguish our land management approach from other conventional methods is that we evaluate and consider the needs of both our grazing animals and the land. Our grazing management plans are holistic and adaptive in nature, meaning that we take into account changing circumstances such as drought and herd size. Our grazing plan is developed each January and monitored through out the year to account for any variables that need to be addressed.
Learn more about our work in this interview with President and CEO Robert Potts on Marfa Public Radio's Nature Notes.
- Janet Samford - Education Program Director, email@example.com
- Robert Potts - Grants, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Melissa Bookhout - Office Manager and Treasurer, email@example.com
West Texas Office
P.O. Box 177
Marfa, TX 79843
|Dixon Water Foundation|
North Texas Office
4528 County Road 398
Decatur, TX 76234
Services provided in:
- Jeff Davis County, Texas
- Parker County, Texas
- Wise County, Texas
To request additions or corrections to this entry email the Administrator